Fianna Fáil TD for Donegal Charlie McConalogue has said that it is simply unfair that school secretaries in the county are still feeling the brunt of a two-tier pay structure. He is calling for a reversal of the measure in 2019.
Deputy McConalogue said, “As it stands just 10% of the 3,500 school secretaries across the country are employed by the Department of Education. The remaining 90% are paid for out of school funding which supports their wages, caretakers and other school supplies.
“Having previously served as Spokesperson on Education, I am acutely aware of how hard our school secretaries work. Without them, schools wouldn’t function. They deserve better pay and conditions.
“As it stands, the vast majority of school secretaries do not enjoy the same benefits as the 10% who are directly employed by the Department. They have no safeguards, no pensions, no sick leave entitlements, and no incremental pay scale increases. The wage gap between two individuals carrying out the same job is often in excess of €10,000 per year.
“The Minister must get to grips with this glaring anomaly and recognise the work of all school secretaries. School secretaries are expected to take on huge responsibilities, from complex administration to organising school events and training days. Talks must start as soon as possible between the government and the trade union, in accordance with an adjudication of the WRC back in 2015”, concluded Deputy McConalogue.