The 2nd meeting of the EU-Iceland Joint Parliamentary Committee was held in Reykjavik and Hellisheiði Geothermal Plant today.
The meeting was co-chaired by Pat the Cope Gallagher (European Parliament, ALDE group, Ireland) and Árni Thor Sigurdsson (Iceland, Left-Green Movement).
In its first session, the JPC debated the relations between the European Union and Iceland, in particular the ongoing accession process, with the invited speakers:
- Mr Bálint Ódor, Deputy State Secretary for EU affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Hungary, on behalf of the Council of the European Union;
- H.E. Mr Timo Summa, Head of EU Delegation in Iceland, on behalf of the European Commission;
- H.E. Mr Stefán Haukur Jóhannesson, Secretary of State for EU Negotiations, on behalf of the Icelandic Government.
In addition the following topics were debated:
- Overview of the EU and Icelandic agriculture policies
- The Financial Crisis: Responses in EU and Iceland
In the second session, a seminar on renewable energy in the EU and Iceland was held on the site of the Hellisheiði Geothermal Plant, with presentations by various experts.
The 3rd JPC meeting is scheduled to take place in week 40 in Brussels, European Parliament.
Members of the European Parliament
Mr Pat the Cope Gallagher, Chairperson ALDE, Ireland
Mr Paul Rübig EPP, Austria
Mr Indrek Tarand Greens/EFA, Estonia
Mr Søren Bo Søndergaard GUE/NGL, Denmark
Mr Cristian Dan Preda EPP, Romania
(Rapporteur of the Foreign Affairs Committee)
Members of the Althingi
Mr Árni Þór Sigurðsson, chairperson Left-Green Movement
Ms Valgerður Bjarnadóttir, vice-chairperson Socialdemocratic Alliance
Ms Jónína Rós Guðmundsdóttir Socialdemocratic Alliance
Mr Björgvin G. Sigurðsson Socialdemocratic Alliance
Ms Birgitta Jónsdóttir Movement
Ms Guðfríður Lilja Grétarsdóttir Left-Green Movement
Ms Ólöf Nordal Independence Party
Mr Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson Independence Party