Fianna Fáil Press Office
Cllr Cormac Devlin
14 February 2016
More needs to be done for dementia supports – Devlin
– State needs to acknowledge the vital work carried out by carers –
Fianna Fáil General Election candidate for Dun Laoghaire Cllr Cormac Devlin says this Government’s record on supports for dementia carers is appalling. Fine Gael and Labour committed to a new Dementia Strategy but have failed to implement the necessary supports for carers and families of people with dementia.
Cllr Devlin said, “Dementia is a deeply distressing condition not only for those suffering from it, but also for their families and friends. There are hundreds of families across Dublin and Dun Laoghaire who are impacted by the cruel condition, with an estimated 50,000 family carers looking after someone with dementia across the country. Home help hours have been slashed under this Government, and many people here in the greater Dublin area feel as if they have been abandoned by Fine Gael and Labour.
“Most people living with dementia and their families want to have their care at home. Fianna Fáil is committed to ensuring this is possible and will step up the provision of intensive home care packages to achieve this”.
– Expand intensive home care packages year on year by €11 million with an extra 190 packages annually benefitting 250 people every year
– Implement and fund the National Dementia Strategy
– Ensure that anyone diagnosed with dementia should be allowed to apply for home helps or home care packages, including intensive packages
– Include dedicated dementia units in residential care homes that are either being built or upgraded over the next five years
– Use the mid term review of the existing dementia strategy to prepare a new plan for the 2020s.
“I would also like to see the provision of a Dementia Adviser Service as well as additional supports for carers. While the services highlighted in our plan will support carers, I want to ensure that there is regular contact with carers to ensure that they receive specific supports. Fianna Fáil wants to see a fairer Ireland, that looks after the most vulnerable and these measure are designed to make that a reality”, concluded Cllr Devlin.