Leader of the Fianna Fáil Group in Dublin City Council Cllr Paul McAuliffe has welcomed a new scheme which will see older residents and those with a disability in Ballymun having access to a transport service to take them to nearby shopping facilities.

The move comes following the decision to close Ballymun Shopping Centre alongside the failure of Dublin Bus to provide routes to nearby centres in Santry and Finglas.

Dublin City Council and Vantastic will launch the new shopping transport service under a joint initiative and will offer a door-to-door shopping transport service on a 3 month pilot basis to residents over 65 years of age.

Cllr McAuliffe welcomed the news and said, “I was pleased that many older people would now be able to access a wider range of shops than those that currently exist in the area. This is a short term solution and in the real solution is to attract new and more diverse retails to the Ballymun Area.

“The decision taken by the council to sell a portion of land on the main street last month to a new supermarket will help address that issue but we need to go much further and ensure the social regeneration in Ballymun is matched with economic regeneration.

“The service will run from Ballymun to Omni Park Shopping Centre every Friday morning from19th June 2015 to 4th September 2015. People wishing to avail of this service must complete a registration form and pay a once off fee of €5 to Dublin City Council.

“Only those registered will be eligible to avail of the service and advance booking is required. Registration will take place at a coffee / information morning in the Axis Centre on Friday 12th June 2015 from 10.30?12.30” said Cllr McAuliffe.