Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Public Expenditure and Reform Seán Fleming TD has published the Freedom of Information (Amendment) Bill 2012 to extend the remit of the Act and bring key bodies in the country within its scope.
The legislation would see the following groups subject to FoI:
- Central Bank of Ireland (administrative functions)
- National Asset Management Agency
- National Treasury Management Agency
- An Garda Síochána (administrative functions)
- Health and Safety Authority (enforcement functions)
- Property Registration Authority
- Road Safety Authority
- Vocational Educational Committees
Deputy Fleming said: “This Bill stipulates a maximum search and retrieval fee of €500 in each case. It also states that all new bodies established by government, for example Irish Water, should also come under the remit of Freedom of Information legislation.
“This legislation is extremely important and will ensure that more powerful public bodies are subject to the Freedom of Information Act. If politicians, on all sides, are serious about reforming public life and rebuilding public trust in our institutions then the Government will accept this straightforward piece of legislation.”