Fianna Fáil General Election Candidate, and local Councillor, Cathal Crowe has welcomed the awarding of planning permission for a new playground facility in Meelick.
The playground, expected to cost in excess of €100,000 will be located within the car park of Meelick Community Hall. This site is a focal point in the community just a stones throw away from the local primary school.
Cllr. Crowe added, “The new playground development will be jointly financed by Clare County Council and the Limerick Hinterland Fund. The once-off Limerick Hinterland Fund stems from the Limerick Hinterland Study, which was commissioned by Limerick City & County Council in 2016 to examine the impact of Limerick regeneration on towns and villages that are proximate to Limerick City. The Study examined the profile of 22 selected settlements within the city’s hinterland and explored the relationship between them and Limerick City on the basis of key socio-economic indicators.
“A very short time-frame was given to agree and formally submit a list of costed projects to the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government (DoELG). I proposed the inclusion of two playground facilities – one in Meelick and the other in the Parteen / Westbury area. Both were approved for funding.
“Shortly after achieving the funding for both playgrounds I organised local meetings at which residents from both communities elected their own committees to steer the projects forward. Their job – to identify a suitable site, over see the design of the playgrounds and apply for planning permission has been onerous. Both committees deserve huge kudos for what they have undertaken.
- Overview of projects to be undertaken with Limerick Hinterland funding
- Provision of playground facilities in the Westbury/Parteen area – €185,000
- Provision of playground and footpath in Meelick area – €105,000
- Development of amenity and recreation spaces in Limerick Environs area – €85,000
- Implementation of elements of the Shannon Green Infrastructure Plan – €85,000
- Provision of Cycleways, Smart Travel Initiatives in Ennis and at Gillogue/Garraun – €185,000