Married to Mary leyden (nee O’Connor) and father to Orla, Conor, and twins Sinead and Mairead. Educated in CBS Primary School, Roscommon Town; Vocational School, Roscommon; National University of Ireland, Galway, Diploma in Politics, Sociology and Economics (Extra Mural Course).
Roscommon Fianna Fáil Senator Terry Leyden has marked the first ever International Day of the Girl in the Seanad today. The United Nations declared October 11, 2012 as the International Day of the Girl Child. The occasion is being celebrated today throughout the world today with inspirational displays, political forums and events at locations like the Empire State Building, the London Eye and Main Street Roscommon. Read More | Share
At a meeting of the Council of Europe Monitoring Committee in Paris this morning, Fianna Fáil Senator Terry Leyden echoed calls from the Council for the immediate release of the so-called ‘Pussy Riot’ activists. Read More | Share
A Yes vote in the Stability Treaty referendum on May 31st will help secure Ireland’s future and the future of the Eurozone, according to Fianna Fáil Seanad Spokesperson on Europe Senator Terry Leyden. Read More | Share
Fianna Fáil has welcomed the decision of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) to accept the request for ‘Partner for Democracy’ status from the Palestine National Council. PACE granted the status request by 110 votes to 5, with 10 abstentions – only the second time in the organisation's history that such status has been accorded. Read More | Share
Fianna Fáil Senator Terry Leyden has called on Taoiseach Enda Kenny to take the lead in negotiations to save hundreds of jobs at the MBNA credit card company in Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim. Senator Leyden said: “The news that Bank of America is pulling its credit card business from Ireland comes as a major blow to Co Leitrim and to the entire region. MBNA is one of the largest employers in this area and plays important role in the local economy. Read More | Share
Constituency Office: Goff Street, Roscommon. Also On-line Clinic @ www.terryleyden.com
- Re-Elected to the Seanad in April 2011 on the Labour Panel.
- Elected to Seanad Éireann on the Labour Panel July 2007. Spokesperson for European Affairs and Integration Policy. First elected to Dail Eireann in 1977
- Elected to Roscommon County Council 1974, Re-elected in 1979, 1985 & 1999.
- Elected to Dail Eireann Roscommon / South Leitrim 1977 to 1981
- Elected to Dail Eireann Roscommon / East Galway 1981 - 1992.
- Minister of State, Department of Posts & Telegraphs & Transport, 1982.
- Member of Fianna Fail Front Bench Spokesman Posts & Telegraphs,1983 - 1987.
- Minister of State, Department of Health, 1987 - 1989.
- Minister for Trade & Marketing, 1989 -1992.
- Member of Council of Europe in Strasbourg 1992.
- Member of Seanad Éireann November 1992 - March 1993.
- Member of Seanad Éireann 2002 - Present day (Labour Panel).
- Presently Government Frontbench Spokesperson on European Affairs and Integration Policy in Seanad Éireann.
- Presently a member of the Irish Delegation to the Council of Europe.