Brendan Smith, T.D. is currently the Spokesperson on Foreign Affairs and Trade, and Border Region Development.
He previously served as Spokesperson on Education and Skills.
Brendan is a former Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and Minister for Justice and Law Reform.
First elected to Dáil Eireann in 1992, he has been re-elected for the Cavan/Monaghan constituency in every subsequent General Election.
He has served as a Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food and as Minister for Children, at the Department of Health and Children.
Prior to his election to Dáil Eireann, he served as a Special Advisor to the former Tánaiste and Minister, the late John Wilson.
- Minister for Children from June 2007 to May 2008.
- Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food with special responsibility for Food and Horticulture from September 2004 to June 2007.
- Co-Chairman of the British-Irish Inter-Parliamentary Body 2002 - Sept. 2004.
- Member of the Dáil Committee on Procedure and Privileges until Sept. 2004.
- Government Whip on Oireachtas Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs in the 28th Dáil.
- Served as a member of the Co. Cavan Vocational Education Committee including Chairman of the Board of Management of Cavan College of Further Studies and Chairman of the Board of Management of Virginia Vocational School.